Bakugan Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bakugan Revolution

The past has gone.The future has so much to tell, but now the present is the Bakugan Revolution!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Fave Attribute
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:56 pm by Storm

» [Open] Final Shadows
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 10:39 pm by Storm

» Devil Kirby
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:49 am by Storm

» Shop Bakugan • • •
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 8:15 pm by Storm

» Slept through the shadows Chapter 1: Dark foresaken wounds
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 10:31 pm by Storm

» Chat Rules [ Updated March 11, 2009 ]
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:29 pm by Yondaime

» Forum Rules [Updated March 11, 2009]
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:36 pm by Yondaime

» My Naruto Site
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:58 am by Dialga Blaziken

» My profile.
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 9:11 am by Yondaime

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Top posters
Yondaime
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_vote_lcapOFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_voting_barOFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_vote_rcap 
Storm
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_vote_lcapOFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_voting_barOFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_vote_rcap 
Virus
Dialga Blaziken
shun KAZAMI
Blaze
juggernaut69
aquos trainer
Wolfo
subterrafortress123

OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic

Go down 
3 posters

Choices:
Plesiasaur
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_vote_lcap67%OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
Basking Shark
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_vote_lcap33%OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
Virus

Virus

Number of posts : 57
Rank Points :
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-01-15

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic Empty
PostSubject: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 4:20 pm

I was randomly looking through channels, and I saw a documentary on Marine Dinosaurs. So, I watched it.
After about a half an hour, I saw this..
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic Yano1
Nasty, eh? I did some research on it..

On April 25, 1977, a fishing vessel named the Zuiyo-maru of the Taiyo Fishery Company Ltd. was trawling for mackerel about 30 miles east of Christchurch, New Zealand, when a large animal carcass became entangled in its nets at a depth of about 300 meters (almost 1000 feet). As the massive creature, weighing about 4000 pounds, was drawn toward the ship and then hoisted above the deck, assistant production manager Michihiko Yano announced to the captain (Akira Tanaka), "It's a rotten whale!" However, as Yano got a better look at the creature, he became less sure. About 17 other crew members also saw the carcass, some of whom speculated that it might be a giant turtle with the shell peeled off. However, no one on board could say for sure what it was (Aldrich 1977; Koster 1977). Despite the possible scientific significance of the find, the captain and crew agreed that the foul-smelling corpse should be thrown overboard to avoid spoiling the fish catch. However, as the slimy carcass was being maneuvered over the ship in preparation for disposal, it slipped from its ropes and fell suddenly onto the deck. This allowed the 39 year old Yano, a graduate of Yamaguchi Oceanological high school, to examine the creature more closely. Although he was still unable to identify the animal, Yano felt it was definitely unusual, prompting him to take a set of measurements, along with five photographs using a camera borrowed from a shipmate. The total length of the carcass measured 10 meters (about 33 feet). Yano also removed 42 pieces of "horny fiber" from an anterior fin, in hopes of aiding future identification efforts. The creature was then released over the side and sank back into its watery grave. All of this took place within about an hour (Koster 1977). About two months later Yano made a sketch of the carcass, which unfortunately conflicts with some of his own measurements, photographs, and statements.
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic Yano2
Side view
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic Yano4
Back view
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic Yano3
Scientist examining it

Other information:
I have found evidence of both.
Diagram 1: Plesiasaur
This is the main thing people see. And yet...
Diagram 2: Basking Shark
..This shows the line of hard cartilage in a Basking Shark. It could be this, also..
Supporting Image
This image supports both ideas, but more twords the Basking Shark side.

-- If the carcass were a plesiosaur, the body would be unlikely to bend in the posture shown in some of the photographs, since the breast bone would be large and flat. Likewise, the ventral bones of plesiosaurs, which should have remained if the anterior fins were preserved, are not seen in the carcass (Hasegawa and Uyeno 1978, p 64).

-- In plesiosaurs, bones of all limbs were situated at the ventral (lower) portion of the body; therefore, if the creature were a decayed plesiosaur, it is likely the limbs would have already been detached from the body.

-- At the existing degree of decomposition, a plesiosaur would probably have retained its upper jaws and teeth (Hasegawa and Uyeno 1978, p 63), but no teeth were reported in the specimen carcass (Obata and Tomoda 1978, p 48 ). A basking shark, however, is known to easily loose both jaws, and even if it retained the upper jaw, its extremely tiny teeth could be more easily overlooked.

-- The carcass length was reported as 10 meters (33 feet). Basking sharks commonly grow to 30 feet more (Dingerkus 1985; Freedman 1985), and specimens over 40 feet long have been reported (Heuvelmans 1968; Herald 1975; Soule 1981; Steel 1985). Some authors indicate they may even grow to 50 or more feet (Springer and Gold 1989; Perrine 1995; Allen 1996) The carcass size would also be compatible with a small plesiosaur, but the body proportions are not (explained below).

-- Although some of Yano's measurements seem surprisingly round (for example, 2000 mm for the tail and 10000 mm total length), if we assume they are reasonably accurate, then the body proportions (approximately 2:6:2 for the head+neck:torso:tail) are incompatible with any known plesiosaur fossils (Obata and Tomoda 1978, p 52). In many plesiosaurs the neck is by the longest section, and in no case is the torso (between the pelvic and pectoral fins) much longer than the head and neck, as it is in the carcass. The carcass could have lost some length through tail loss (discussed below), but the neck to torso ratio would still be incompatible with plesiosaurs.

-- The carcass body proportions are largely compatible with a large basking shark carcass, especially one that lost its tail (compare Figures 5 and 2). Loss of the tail would be likely, since the wide tail would tend to snap at the narrow juncture during decay and buffeting in the water. This would explain the blunt rather than tapering tail end in Yano's sketch. The rostrum (nose tip) may also have been lost, but would not appreciably affect the overall body length or proportions. Adding a tail would mean the shark was closer to 12.5 meters (41 feet) in life, which would be exceptionally large, but still within the generally accepted size range of basking sharks. After all, this poor basker may have died of old age.

Even so, There is a great possibility that this is a Plesiasaur.

**Credit to: Sea-monster or Shark? For the info.**
~Virus
Back to top Go down
Storm
Global Moderator
Storm

Number of posts : 71
Rank Points :
OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic Right_bar_bleue

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:23 pm

I thought about it and said the marine dinosaur.
Back to top Go down
Virus

Virus

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:29 pm

It could be either, you know. Look at the Basking shark diagram.

~Virus
Back to top Go down
Storm
Global Moderator
Storm

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:31 pm

Yeah... It could've or proabably is either.
Back to top Go down
Virus

Virus

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:34 pm

From the facts, it states that the Plesiasaur shouldn't be hung over like that. Well, it could have lost it's bones. And another thing: It does really look like a Basking shark.. But look closely. In the first picture, it has a bottom jaw. In the second, it doesn't. Did it falll off? Or was it just something else?

~Virus
Back to top Go down
Storm
Global Moderator
Storm

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeah, maybe the first picture had it's bottom jaws there, but the second and diffrent one was eithr not old enough or lost em'.
Back to top Go down
Virus

Virus

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Aha! With closer examination, it appears to have fallen off. You can see the broken bone near the back of the mouth where the jaw was attached.

~Virus
Back to top Go down
Storm
Global Moderator
Storm

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:40 pm

Oh! I see, I guess that dino wasn't watching where his/her mouth was swaying.
Back to top Go down
Virus

Virus

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Well, if I was dead, I couldn't either. ._.
I, for one, do in fact think it is a Plesiasaur.

~Virus
Back to top Go down
Storm
Global Moderator
Storm

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Well I was talking about back then when that Plesiasaur
Back to top Go down
Virus

Virus

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:48 pm

I think the jaw fell off while it was on the ship.. I'm not too sure. That is my theory on it.

~Virus
Back to top Go down
Storm
Global Moderator
Storm

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:49 pm

Your proabably right, because jaws that are fossils are somewhat fragile.
Back to top Go down
Virus

Virus

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:57 pm

Remember, it's not a fossil. A fossil is when Hundreds of years of dirt and rock form over the bones of an animal. So that means.. THis one died recently. As you may know, some per-historic water dwellers still are alive to this day.

Such as:
The Loch Ness Monster
Ogopogo
This carcass

And even some dinosaurs:
In Africa, there is a huge jungle. The villagers that live around there say that a giant monster lives in the forest. The discriptions that they give meet the description of the dinosaur called the Brachiosaurus.

~Virus
Back to top Go down
Storm
Global Moderator
Storm

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 8:01 pm

oh, then my bads, that tells me it is even more fragile!
Back to top Go down
Virus

Virus

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 8:27 pm

Exactly. Carcasses are much much more fragile then bones.

~Virus
Back to top Go down
Storm
Global Moderator
Storm

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 5:40 am

Yeah, so even 1 hit might've made that jaw go kaplooey.
Back to top Go down
Virus

Virus

Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 8:00 am

Maybe when it was taken out of the water, the jaw became unstable, and it fell off when on the deck.

~Virus
Back to top Go down
Yondaime
Site Admin
Yondaime

Number of posts : 132
Rank Points :

BakuDeck
BakuDeck:

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Whatever it is. .
GROSS!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://bakubrawl.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic   OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL Plesiasaur or Shark? Topic
Page 1 of 1